Drywall is up!!!
Drywall is up!!!
I have spent the past year debating on how to move forward insulating my attic. I looked at every possible type of insulation in my area and the associated cost. In my Climate zone 5 (Find your Climate Zone) the energy star recommendation for roof insulation is 49-60 this is impossible with my cape as it stands as I only have 5 1/2 inches of space for the insulation and don’t want to lose space on the interior. I could add insulation on the outside but the cost is too high. This sent me on a journey to find the best possible solution that I can afford.
I looked into having a company out to spray foam the underside of the roof but the estimate was around $10,000 USD to insulate the house. That was also out of my price range. After hours of searching the web I stumbled upon an article on Green Building Advisor titled “cut-and-cobble-insulation” I was intrigued by this article and nervous about trying to do spray foam myself. It was time to do some real world testing.
200 board foot foam kit for initial testing
Last October I bought a 200 board feet spray foam kit from my local box store to give the diy spray foam a try. I wanted to get a better cost estimate of the whole project based on the actual yield of the kit. I found that the kit yield was almost exactly what was advertised. 200 square feet at 1 in thickness and was easier than expected to apply. This made the decision for me when buying in bulk you can expect a price of 1 dollar per square foot at 1 inch thickness. So a 100 square foot roof section at 5 1/2 inches deep would cost approximately $550 USD yielding an R35.75 roof (R6.5/inch).
“Closed-cell spray foam provides a higher R–value per inch (6.5) than less expensive insulation types like cellulose and fiberglass (3.5 to 3.7). Most spray polyurethane foam is called “two-component” foam. (Green Building Advisor)”
This was still a little out of my Price range so I decided to use a combination of cut and cobble and spray foam. The article called this method “peanut brittle” method.
Here is what I did I bought 20 sheets of 2 inch xps foam R10 and cut and secured this to the underside of my roof decking then added approximately 3 1/2 inches of closed cell spray foam yielding a R32.75 roof. This is a huge improvement from the fiberglass insulation that was there and for a fraction of the cost of using all spray foam. The xps foam was approximately 44 cents per board foot. So the same 100 square foot section would cost $388 USD. This equates to 30% reduction in cost and only a 10% reduction in the R value. This was the best R value per dollar I could get that fit into my budget and available options.
I’ll be posting more photos and a video of some of the Foam installation later this month.
Above is a photo of the first coat spray foam over the XPS
Cut and cobbled 2 in XPS on the roof deck and walls
Below are some related links for additional information
Click on the photo to see the full instructions and please vote if you liked my project.
Want to build this window bench? Download the SketchUp Files
Are you new to DIY?
Check out Instuctables.com for many more projects and chances to win cool prizes for posting your own projects. The community is great and it’s very family friendly. If you have questions about any of my projects or would like me to make an Instructable on a specific topic send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment.
New to wood working?
Take a look at some of the Woodworking Tip videos I have made to accompany my instructables. I have plans for many more projects and plan to post a new project each month.
I was working on my car had drained the oil and couldn’t get my oil filter off. I looked for my oil filter wrench but could not find it anywhere. So I improvised. Some of you may have done this before but this worked so well I thought I would share it with everyone.
So this is a pretty simple solution so all you need is a ratchet strap. First take the long end completely off the ratchet and fold the long end of the strap over and feed the folded end about a foot out the other side. Then crank the ratchet a few times to hold the loop slightly bigger than the oil filter. That is it, you are ready to use your ratchet strap as a oil filter wrench.
There is a one direction that works better than the other, similar to an actual oil filter wrench. So if it doesn’t seem like it’s working you may need to flip the whole thing over and try again. I’ll try to show you the direction in the photos.
First put the loop you made over the oil filter and ratchet the strap almost all the way down. You should have tight enough that when you pull on the ratchet it gets tighter in one direction and loosen in the other direction.
This worked very well for me and saved me some time and money having to run to the autoparts store to get another oil filter wrench.
I hope you find this helpful.
Once I completed the CNC router I was asked to make 120 finials for a local theaters set.This is a simple design I put together to test out and show the set designer before cutting all of them. The base is sized so that it can be friction fit into 1/2 conduit. I learned some lessons about designing for CNC routers with this project.
I was in the process of cutting a bunch of holes for a cold air return floor grate when I couldn’t stand the dust anymore. I spent the weekend building a delrin and popbottle skirt dust collection for my CNC. It works well but I can’t take credit for the design. I was in a hurry so I found the design on inventables just searching for “dewalt 611 dust collection”. I did modify the design to fit my needs by using a clear flexible material for the skirt rather than the black brush you see in most designs.